Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Creative Chaos

My husband and I recently went to Monterey Bay for a week-end away (which was marvelous). We began to talk about creative things we love to do. I have so many interests that my brain began to fill with creative chaos. But, what we discovered is that we both have an interest in creating a pottery line....together. We decided on the name M/F. What this refers to is masculine and feminine. As individuals we both are talking a lot about the differences between men and women and discovered through conversation that this can even apply to pottery.

As a start, my end of this design team is going to be thin, colorful, and organic in shape. I want my forms to be really basic in form, but detailed in design. That will assist the masculine side that will be thicker, more neutral in color, and very methodical and predictable in shape (my hus
band is excited to mathematically use equations to render the line of dinnerware). But together they harmonize each other and create a distinctive and unique set of dishes and accessories.

I thought I would share what I have done so far. I am using some vintage bowls of my Great Grandmothers and bowls that were made as wedding favors. I was a lucky participant in helping to throw 150 bowls for the wedding, it was great fun! I enjoy the idea of using things that have a great memory to them already.

I have applied a few different slip designs to them t
hat I will post after I fire them and take some photos.

No comments: